NEW JOB POSTING(s):
Metro Water Recovery is accepting applications for two (2) positions!
- Laboratory Supervisor
- QA/QC Specialist
See descriptions for both positions below. To access the complete job description, or to apply, please follow the links above!
Metro Water Recovery in Denver, CO - a nationally recognized leader among clean water utilities, provides wastewater conveyance and treatment services for 2.2 million people in the Denver Metro area.
Under the general direction of the Senior Laboratory Manager (SLM) oversees the daily activities associated with the collection of samples for process control/special projects and laboratory analyses for chemical, biochemical, physical, and microbiological properties of water, wastewater, biosolids and soil samples. Supervises Laboratory Analysts and other staff as assigned.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, schedules, and reviews the work of laboratory analysts.
- Ensures standard operating procedures are followed by laboratory analysts for routine sampling, chain of custody, analyses, storage, and disposal. Assists in the development and review of laboratory procedures.
- Provides technical direction and support to laboratory analysts and assists with method development to ensure that analytical goals are achieved. Oversees designated areas in the laboratory and assists lead analysts with technical issues and improvements.
- Conducts all review and validation of analytical data. Troubleshoots and resolves data inconsistencies.
- Prioritizes analytical work and process control/special project sample collection to meet the timeliness and quality needs of internal customers. Directly performs analytical work and process control sample collection as needed to support staff workload and/or ensure that internal customer needs are met.
- Implements laboratory standards in accordance with the established laboratory quality assurance/quality control program. Reviews laboratory data to ensure compliance with the QA/QC program. Ensures completeness and accuracy of E. Coli data used for regulatory compliance.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiencies and streamlining of processes. Participates in and leads continuous improvement projects and teams.
- Ensures adequate supplies. Requisitions laboratory supplies, testing, and other equipment as necessary. Monitors and tracks service contracts on assigned areas of the lab.
- Evaluates performance of laboratory instruments and equipment. Develops and implements preventive maintenance programs to maintain the effectiveness of instruments, equipment, and facilities. Initiates and administers maintenance work orders and performs minor repairs as needed.
- Participates in employee selection process and evaluates performance and skill levels of laboratory analysts, providing training, counseling, and discipline as necessary. Maintains performance documentation of lab personnel.
- Evaluates analytical equipment needs and performs cost/benefit analyses, makes recommendations to the SLM or Department Head. Assists SLM with budgeting and planning. Coordinates and tracks service contracts for analytical equipment. Works with Procurement to acquire instrumentation and equipment.
- Monitors personnel, facilities, and conditions to ensure safety.
- Assists with updates of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and making modifications as needed.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Regulatory Affairs Division to ensure proper handling and disposal of chemicals and hazardous wastes.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
QA/QC Specialist I:
General Statement of Duties
Maintains areas related to Metro’s analytical quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) programs which are managed by the Regulatory Affairs Division within the Environmental Services Department. Works under the general direction of the QA Manager.
Examples of Duties
- Ensures verification of all data reported by external laboratories. This includes data reporting, data review, laboratory quality control, proper documentation of verified results and adherence to regulations and sound analytical practices.
- Maintains and implements adjustments as necessary for the QA/QC program for all analytical testing in accordance with regulatory requirements and sound analytical practices. Develops, initiates, and monitors opportunities for improvement and when necessary, takes Corrective Action when non-compliant situations arise.
- Assists in the compliance testing for NAPT, USGS, and QC Quarterly. Reviews and provides recommendations to Management for improving Metro’s QA/QC.
- Conducts regular audits of procedures and the external laboratories as necessary to verify conformance with State and EPA regulations, standards, and policies.
- Maintains Metro’s analytical Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs). Ensures that the QAPPs are reviewed and updated on a biennial basis.